Friday, November 14, 2008

The Cost of a Hip Replacement

I know what you're thinking. Hip replacement sounds like so much fun, you'd like to have one yourself, but you're wondering if you can afford it.

In round numbers, according to my insurance company's web site: The total cost of my operation, before any insurance-company discounts were applied, was about $50,000. After discounts, the insurance company paid about $25,000.

My out-of-pocket expenses for this operation total about $450: $150 for the hospital, plus about $150 for physical therapy co-payments, plus about $150* for home nursing visits. Also, my employer's short term disability coverage allows me to collect a full paycheck while recovering.

If you work for a large, successful, stable and generous employer, there is no health care crisis.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If I had been a little more proactive and sophisticated about my insurance coverage, I could have avoided the $150 out-of-pocket home nursing charge. See the December 2 posting on "If You're Having A Hip Replacement" for more details.

1 comment:

Jacque Brown said...

That's definitely good news for those of us who work for a similar employer!