Saturday, November 8, 2008

Your Questions Answered

Most of the questions I've gotten about my posts have been via e-mail or phone call, rather than as responses posted to this blog. I'll try to answer some here:

When you said that it felt like there was a "big reluctant hunk of steel in your hip," did you mean that you could feel the hardware inside your leg? No. It feels like a normal hip, only a lot sorer.

What's the pain like? It gets more manageable every day, unlike before the operation, when it kept getting worse.

How much independence do you currently have? As of Day 6, I can do almost anything that anyone on crutches can do. Except clip my toenails, due to bending restrictions. This is a treat I've reserved for my grateful teenage daughter.

Can you drive a car yet? No. Not even close. The surgery was on my right hip, which is the brake/accelerator leg.

What is the hottest gossip in the hip replacement world? Check this out.

What is the worst hip replacement joke on the internet? This one.

What is the best hip replacement joke on the internet? There isn't one.

Did people really ask you those last three questions? No. I made them up, just to show off my web research on hip replacements.

You probably made up the other questions too, didn't you? No, I didn't.

Yes, you did, didn't you? No, I didn't, I swear! My friends asked them.

They're not really your friends, are they? Yes they are. Leave me alone.

You've just taken a really strong painkiller, haven't you? I'm very tired now. Need to rest...

3 comments:

Alanna said...

Hahahaha! I love you so much!

<3 Your Oldest

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a journey you are having Mr. Hickel -- and you are so COOL to have a blog to share about your experience and educate us all along the way (about the hip AND blogging)! A thought to share as we approach winter ... my neighbor had his hip replaced and was up and about very well at 30 days. Well, being that it was January and icy outside - he didn't want to slip and fall on the ice so he took to wearing his golf spikes as his regular shoes. I offer this fashion suggestion as I believe that the golf spikes would look most appropriate with you Booz Allen suit on a daily basis :) Take care and mend well - I'll be checking back in to see how you are doing! Tamra

Gracie said...

Jim - wishing you a speedy and safe recovery. Physical therapy does suck - no other word for it. Keep up the progress and we hope to see you back soon!