Monday, November 24, 2008

Three Week Anniversary

It was three weeks ago today that I got my hip replaced. The good news:
  • Walking. The crutches and the walker are pretty much out of the picture. I get around everywhere on a cane, and even occasionally walk from room to room in my house without a cane or any other support.

  • Muscle strength. Physical therapy is going well, I seem to be making good progress.

  • No apparent unwelcome side effects. No signs of dislocation or infection, the two main drawbacks in this type of surgery.

  • Pretty independent at this point. There is very little that I need help with right now, besides driving (see below).
A few things that I'm still waiting for:
  • Ability to Drive. This is the biggest drawback of hip replacement surgery. I really want to be able to drive my car. I tried to drive around a few of my back streets over the weekend, but my hip started to hurt so I quit. I'll try again this coming weekend.

  • Greater Energy Level. I'd like more energy. After doing almost nothing physical all day, I still seem to need a mid-afternoon nap, which is probably a combination of the exhaustion of moving myself around on a bad leg, combined with the aftereffects of the anesthesia and painkillers.

  • No Limping. I'd like to walk without limping. My physical therapist is working with me on the fact that I tend to "drop my hip" (i.e., "limp") when I walk with or without the cane.
Still, good progress for the first three weeks. And it sure beats the pre-surgery pains that were clearly getting progressively worse.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're doing great. To be honest I'm surprised that you're being so nice about your physical therapist. I hear they can be a little hard to love... With your positive attitude and hard work I'm sure we'll be seeing you soon.

Herb

Jim Hickel said...

Yes, physical therapists are usually sweet looking young women. And then they start the torture, and you realize that appearances CAN be deceiving...

Ryan Alexander said...

Sounds like you are making some great progress!

lewis_kernel_electron_dot_symbol said...

Something wierd's going on here. After I read this blog I started to smell like cheese!