Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Eight Week Anniversary and Wrap-Up

I'm past the eight week point, and will be returning to a full-time work schedule on Monday. I still have a little minor pain at night, and there's still a bit of a "hitch" in my walk that I need to correct. But I've put away the crutches, walker, cane, leg lifter, shower chair, elevated commode, and handicapped parking permit, and things are clearly returning to normal. So at this point, I'm going to discontinue posting on this blog.

I have been absolutely amazed at the amount of support I've received from family, friends, and work colleagues over the past eight weeks. As I've noted, the first few weeks after hip replacement surgery greatly resemble old age: You're using a walker, you need help with mundane tasks, and you tend to sometimes feel helpless and vulnerable. And it's a reminder that, when you return to good health, you have a great opportunity to take advantage of your working body while you still have it. So I'm looking forward to putting my new hip to good use in 2009 and beyond.

Thanks for all your comments and good wishes over the past two months, and please have a great New Year (no matter when you're reading this).

P.S. Like most blogs, this one is presented in reverse order, with the last post shown first. If you are new to this blog and would like to read everything in chronological order, from the beginning post to the end, try this: Go here, which will get you to my initial post. Then after you finish reading, scroll down to "newer post" and click that. This will get you to the second post. Then repeat. Good luck!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sad to see that you'll be discontinuing your posting here. I hope you'll consider starting a blog on hello.bah.com or re-branding this blog with a different focus. I hope you've seen that you're pretty good at this blogging thing - let me know if you're interested in exploring this more!

Jacque Brown said...

I am sorry to see the end of your blog as well. You have a great style that makes your writing informative AND fun to read. I agree with Steve - I'd love to see you blogging on Hello!

Ms.Pam said...

ahhh..i hate i just now found your blog. it would have been great thes last 8 weeks! yes you read right..i just hit 8 weeks...thanks for helping me feel "normal" about what the ast weeks involved...enjoy your hip and i will do the same. :)
pam from TEXAS

Lady Hip said...

Your blog has been such an inspiration to me in England. I found it by chance when I was researching hip replacements on the internet. It gave me hope as I waited for my operation on November 2nd 2009, almost exactly a year after you had yours! I am now nearly seven weeks on and I too am now putting away my sticks etc and returning to normal life. Thank you!