Saturday, December 13, 2008

How To Take Long Walks After A Hip Replacement

It's hard to walk too far after you've had a hip replacement, and I've missed the long walks I used to take -- which had both psychological and physical benefits. So I've come up with a proprietary methodology for taking walks after a hip replacement, which I am now sharing with anyone who is interested:
  • Go to a grocery store or large retail outlet like Target or Walmart
  • Get a shopping cart and push it around the aisles
  • Everyone around you thinks you're pushing a "shopping cart", but you -- and only you -- know that you are actually leaning on it and using it as a walker in disguise!
Oh, come on, admit it. This is brilliant.

3 comments:

Alanna said...

Part of the summer in Vegas and lovely plans with your oldest daughter? Pretty hefty plans for a man who secretly uses shopping carts as walkers. Keep your expectations high. I demand a father who doesn't limp for our trip to Vegas.

<3

Kim Maisel said...

Jim, you absolutely crack me up! Congratulations on all of your progress and for keeping the humor going on the team. We look forward to your (healthy) return!

Catherine said...

LOL I am a seasoned pro at shoping cart.. walker status!!! but it is nice to know I am not the only one...