Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ten Good Things About My Hip Replacement

  1. I can jump out of my chair when I'm surprised or excited.
  2. I can rise to greet guests without wincing and falling backwards back into the seat.
  3. People seem to act amazed, and praise me, when I perform simple tasks like getting up and down stairs by myself.
  4. I have something to talk about with others who have had hip replacements, which seems to be a surprisingly common procedure these days.
  5. I'm forced to exercise, and that's healthy, even though I'm only exercising one leg.
  6. I have a handicapped parking permit, although a fat lot of good it's doing me since everyone in the entire rapidly-aging baby boom generation seems to have one now.
  7. I already have lots of the equipment (walker, crutches, cane, grabber) that I'll need for old age.
  8. I could run marathons or go ballroom dancing if I wanted to, which I most certainly don't, but I could, which is the important thing, even though I won't.
  9. I got $50,000 worth of medical services for about $450, which makes me feel like I've beaten the system somehow.
  10. I still have one of my original hips, in case I'm ever feeling nostalgic.

2 comments:

Jacque Brown said...

This is a great post! I am glad you are doing well.

Unknown said...

Wow! I was diagnosed with hip OA at 40 and at 43 now I have constant pain…not on meds uyet but I have to gym and do weight and stuff everyday to be mobile..how long did you have your OA….I am worried they will not operate on me for years and painkillers(when i staret them will kill my kidneys) ..Is there anyway of retarding the progression…how long have you had your arthitris


wales